On most days, I am the “YES woman” – hardly ever would you hear me say NO to anyone in my family, especially my kids, or my friends, or my co-workers. But in recent weeks, I have been feeling overextended and run down. At times, I have this FOMO thing (Fear Of Missing Out) when it comes to anything having to do with my kids. Today, my Hubby offered to take our 5 year old and her older sister to the Bridgit Mendler concert, when it was me originally. His intentions are good – he wanted me to rest after surviving the JB concert a few days prior. I have to accept these offers like they’re gifts, and know that sometimes I need to say no and take care of myself, regroup, refocus and just rest.
- Since we extended our cable package, I’ve had the pleasure of watching the following movies (and mind you, I am the person who finds it a feat to dedicate 2 hours to sitting and watching a movie!): My Sister’s Keeper, The Family Who Preys, It’s Complicated, Four Christmases, He’s Just Not That Into You, Julie & Julia and Arthur – what can I say, Hubby made a good move in upgrading the cable!
- While I feel we need to buckle down financially, I am happy we were able to make some pretty hefty worthwhile purchases for our family: King bed, third vehicle, new bedroom furniture for the girls, a new sofa and ottoman, and a new 50 inch TV.
- On that note, I heart our new TV!!!
- I loved the text I got from our boy yesterday updating us on his whereabouts: “Hi. We’re eating now. Hi mom :) how was work?” And when he came home, he gave me a big hug and was just catching up with me — he apparently had a whole lot to say about the last two days since I hadn’t really seen him. The little things…gotta love it.
- Ella: “Mommy, don’t say Joe. Only my grandma calls him Joe.” LOL!!! Oh Ella. She’s so used to hearing me call her Daddy “honey”.
- I am ecstatic and honored to be a Godmother to my Bestie’s baby girl Maya Elenia. My baby girl not only has a sunsister, but a Godsister. :)
- I am truly blessed with a wonderful set of friends and family — cannot wait to make more memories in 2011!
- To me, my Hubby is the best husband in the universe — I admire SO MUCH about him. I learn so much from him, especially when it comes to being patient and forgiving. He’s perfection in my eyes (and I know this even when I’m crabby).
- Looking forward to a nice relaxing prelude to 2011 this weekend — more time with family and friends.
- Proud of myself for being committed to my very first blog this year — I have never ever completed a consistent journal of my life that has lasted as long as a year. I plan to continue blogging into 2011.
- To join or not join…a gym. Ugh.
- Ella is hooked on the Katy Perry songs “Teenage Dream” and “Firework” (I admit, I’m a little hooked myself).
- I just found this — should come in handy with one of my 2011 goals :)
- Sometimes I find myself missing: Muay Thai Kickboxing, hula, my old condo, my co-workers from HSBC, my Thursday night outings at 23 years old when I managed to stay out ’til 4am and make it to work by 7:30am, my long hair, high school & college days, my discipline when it comes to working out, old school hip hop…and I mean the good stuff.
- I am NOT old — but I AM a grown up. :)
- My January 2011 social calendar is already BOOKED. Man!
- If I don’t log in again before 2010 comes to an end, I wish you all a year of precious memories made, little and big goals achieved, exciting adventures and finding the peace and happiness in the simple things in life. Happy New Year!
What a funfilled weekend it was! We somehow managed to juggle a sleepover at our house on Friday with our nieces, a double-BBQ (one on Saturday at my folks’ and another on Sunday at the in-laws’ that we hosted), a movie, a birthday lunch, a little shopping, lots of cooking, laundry, and STILL work out…the funny thing is that despite how incredibly busy it was, our family (the 6 of us) managed to spend some quality time together – it’s been a long time since we’ve all even had dinner together since my our son works. The whole weekend was a perfect balance of friends, family and our children. And the most important part of the weekend was my Hubby’s birthday, which we celebrated all weekend long. I hope he feels how loved and special he is to ALL of us. :) Here are some photos from the weekend – hope you had a wonderful weekend as well!
With some advice from a good girlfriend of mine, I decided to try out this 21-day plan in an effort to live healthier. Research has shown that it takes the average person 21 days to break or form a habit. My friend Jo told me to eat right and workout for 21 days straight – something I have never done before. So far, it’s going well and I am only on day 4. We have been eating better and exercising for the last 4 days, and it’s becoming easier to do – it hasn’t been easy, but it’s getting easier. I am so proud of the Hubby and I for being disciplined. Here are some tips in becoming successful at this plan.
Have a goal or want to break a habit? Join me in this journey! Here are a couple of websites for inspiration:
Something about this age is already feeling good – or could it be just a good reflection of my life today versus a year ago, or perhaps all the life’s lessons I learned in the past year. Whatever it is, I feel stronger, more inspired and in control of my life.
Yesterday I started back up on WW. Jennifer Hudson is the new spokesperson and I like how she doesn’t reveal her weight or weightloss. She just looks and feels better, and really that’s all that matters. I like that approach, although I will be using the scale to measure my success as well as how I feel when I look in the mirror. I’ve been packing healthier lunches, portioning everything out and been cooking healthier meals at home. Last night I made chicken stir-fry using chicken breast, bell peppers, carrots and broccoli. I had white rice, but watched my portion. And I felt satisfied! Also I started exercising again. I have been doing 20 minute bootcamp workouts, which I notice have been helping me sleep better. I don’t wake up feeling lazy and groggy, but instead I feel well-rested and energized.
The picture above was from 5 years ago! I decided to try WW for the first time and lost about 10 lbs. I have a whole year to get to my goal weight (and it’s a lot more than just to lose 10 lbs), so I’m easing into this without the pressure of a close deadline.
Our kids, who watch everything we do, are getting into the new eating-style. We bought this huge container of almonds for a “healthier option” snack. Honestly, even at the check-out line in Costco, I thought “I think this will go to waste.” But I’m happy to say that the container is only half full now and I’m proud when I see our kids eating almonds with us. Small changes will hopefully lead to big lasting results.