It started with an easy pasta recipe from the local food celeb, Sam The Cooking Guy. We love this guy! He’s hilarious and brilliant in the kitchen, taking easy-to-find ingredients and creating gourmet magic.
After I received a pleasing reaction from the family on the Spicy-ish Sausage Pasta I made for dinner one night months ago, I decided that this recipe was easy enough that it will have to be part of the regular rotation of dinners. Somehow, the recipe evolved. I started to play with other ingredients I happened to have on hand — throw a little of this in, a little of that — and voila! I feel so confident with this newly evolved recipe and have made it SO many times for our family, that I am no longer measuring the ingredients and kind of winging it each time by adding or trying something new. The family seems to enjoy it and every time I’m in the kitchen cooking this, at least one of our kids will say “Ooooh…are you making your special pasta dish? Mmmm.” :) Even Ella will eat numerous plates of this pasta! It’s perfect for large dinner parties and big families, special occasions and potlucks.
Start with the ‘Sam recipe’ and try these ingredients for a different twist:
- Try adding a can of drained Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Try adding some Roasted Bell Peppers or even the fresh kind — red is best
- Try adding pesto in addition to/or in place of the basil
- Be generous with your parmesan cheese
- Skip out on the butter — you really don’t need it and it still tastes delicious without it!
- Try ziti or penne pasta
- Top it with crispy bacon bits — mmmm…everything is better with bacon!
The family is trying to come up with a name for this dish. I’ll keep you posted. ;)