Inspired by a recipe featured in my Food Network magazine by Chef Aaron Sanchez, this is an easy gourmet appetizer that you can make with ingredients you may already have on hand. Perfect for a dinner party or potluck and it’s vegetarian-friendly. My veggie sis-in-law loved these!
- 3-4 small potatoes boiled to tenderness (or if you’re like me, I microwave them for 10 minutes with the skin on, and just peel off the skin and mash later)
- a handful of peas or any other vegetable you like
- a teaspoon of curry powder
- 3/4 to a cup of sour cream
- a cereal bowl of flour
- 3 eggs beaten with a splash of water
- a bag of panko bread crumbs
As you can see, my measurements are super-liberal which means you can adjust everything to your preference. :) Mix the first four ingredients – the consistency should not be overly creamy. Make into balls – I used a melon ball scooper because the ice cream scooper made them too large for an appetizer portion – and flatten them out. Coat in flour, dip in egg and then coat in panko. Cook them in a shallow pan with vegetable oil until brown – takes only a couple of minutes. Serve with a mango chutney, Asian sweet chili sauce and/or sour cream. Enjoy!